Hello, my name is Peter Hlavin and I am JOURNEYMAN - American songwriter, visual artist, and executive producer based in the United States. Inspired by my 500-mile Camino de Santiago journey, Europe's most important pilgrimage, I have followed a path of creating immersive, journey-related artistic experiences that combine song, music, visual art, installations, and storytelling.
The foundation for Journeyman's collection of contemporary works is titled "THE CAMINO PROJECT." This project is not only based on JOURNEYMAN's personal Camino experiences, but also shaped by Camino lore and the experiences of others from around the world who seek (dare) to journey.
LABERINTO del CAMINO - SEPTEMBER 14, 2022 GRAND OPENING
LABERINTO del CAMINO
SEPTEMBER 14, 2022 - GRAND OPENING
- Laberinto del Camino rests following its Grand Opening - The labyrinth was installed on May 7, 2022 - The design incorporates two key symbols of the Camino: scallop shell (conch) and arrow - The arrow tip points directly at Santiago de Compostela cathedral, locasted 40 miles due west (direction of the setting sun). - The Grand Opening included a JOURNEYMAN concert in Palas de Rei, Spain
CELEBRATION by JOURNEYMAN
JOURNEYMAN & THE TEMPLARS ROCK PALAS DE REI
LABERINTO del camino - grand opening concert celebration
Singers, dancers, the band (Journeyman & The Templars), fans, and Spanish/English interpreter celebrate following Journeyman's "Along the Way" concert on September 14, 2022, marking the grand opening of Laberinto del Camino in Palas de Rei... The same day as Palas de Rei's annual feast day! Coincidence?
JOURNEYMAN NEWSLETTER - OCTOBER 2022
JOURNEYMAN ROCKS PALAS DE REI, SPAIN!
What do you do for an encore after building Laberinto del Camino in Palas de Rei, Spain, on May 7, 2022? Well, you hold a live JOURNEYMAN concert to celebrate the Grand Opening of this magical labyrinth built alongside Camino Francés in Spain. And that is exactly what we did!
On September 14, 2022, JOURNEYMAN presented a live concert to the community of Palas de Rei, Spain, and Camino Francés pilgrim walkers who were lucky enough to be lodging in Palas de Rei on this special day. Journeyman would be remiss if he did not mention that this free concert headlined the beginning of Palas de Rei’s annual holiday festival.
All in all, 30 JOURNEYMAN songs, both current and future releases, were on full display during the evening event. Over 400 people attended the event throughout the evening. It was noted that Pilgrim travelers from over 16 countries were represented. Live dancers and bagpipe players added icing to the cake, so to speak.
The concert was a rocking success as JOURNEYMAN'S band – “Journeyman and The Templars” – treated the crowd to a live performance of 18 original JOURNEYMAN songs, including three U.S. vocalists. JOURNEYMAN opened the show with a brief monologue and told Camino “stories” between each song. That is, stories describing the events and circumstances behind each song that led to their creation.
*Templars gives reference to The Knight Templars who guarded pilgrims walking the Camino de Santiago paths beginning in the 12th century.
Prior to the show, JOURNEYMAN and English/Spanish translator, Jacobo Currais Arcay, entertained the crowd with 12 of JOURNEYMAN'S original song tracks utilizing an “interview” format. Following the pre-show, Jacobo provided official notice that the concert was about to begin by playing a traditional Galician tune with his bagpipe. Palas de Rei and Santiago de Compostela are located in the region of Galicia.
The three professional vocalists included:
- Maya Sh’Von, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Trevor Siebold, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- Fernando Garcia, San Diego, California, USA
The three-piece professional band included:
- Patrick Culligan, Drummer, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Gary Jacklin, Guitars, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Bob Lytle, Bass, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Maya – She wowed the crowd when she sang JOURNEYMAN'S song “Walking with Angels.” Maya’s range of vocals was on FULL display and her performance was, well, angelic.
- Trev – His energetic rendition of JOURNEYMAN'S “Gimme ‘Nother Kiss” (soon to be released) brought the crowd to its feet, feeding off this song’s driving electronic dance music beat (EDM). As reward for his entertaining showmanship, the crowd blew Trev kisses.
- Fernando – His presence and vocals loomed large as he took over the stage while singing JOURNEYMAN'S closing song, “Celebration.” Fernando, with his infectious enthusiasm, brought the crowd to its feet while belting out to this salsa-infused tune.
- The Templars (Band) – Patrick, Gary, and Bob got the crowd going early with JOURNEYMAN'S song “Go Blank,” a rocking tune with mesmerizing guitar rift and driving drum/bass beat. The band was able to show its full range of talent when they cut loose on "Mr. Mojón" and “Celebration,” the latter marking the end to an enchanting evening of Camino music.
- Dancers – Two professional dancers from the region of Galicia – Milagros and Alexia –graced the stage/plaza in Palas de Rei. During the intermission, these two dancers moved and grooved to two specific labyrinth-related songs of JOURNEYMAN, including “Laberinto del Camino” and “Dancing Laberinto” (soon to be released). Their contemporary dance interpretation of Journeyman’s songs was spellbinding.
- Bagpipes – As part of the show, local bagpipe players, Suso and Jacobo, provided local Galician flare with their “gaita” wizardry.
- Speeches – JOURNEYMAN kicked off the show thanking Concello de Palas de Rei and all Laberinto del Camino volunteers and Camino/labyrinth enthusiasts for their contributions and support. The Mayor of Palas de Rei, Pablo Jose Taboada Camoira, also addressed the audience.
- Daisy Bouquet – Following JOURNEYMAN's new hit song, She Loves Me True, JOURNEYMAN presented a bouquet of daisy flowers to Divina Agra, head of Palas de Rei's Culture Department, as a thank you for her enthusiastic support of Laberinto del Camino.
- Language Translation – Professional Spanish/English translator, Jacobo Currais Arcay, translated all Journeyman song stories, as well as speeches. The Camino provides!
- Celebration – Following the show Journeyman and the performers held a celebratory dinner at Restaurante Casa Camiño, Palas de Rei.
GRACIAS AND SPECIAL THANKS
Journeyman thanks all those who supported his vision and joined the journey to make his dream come true (music + art + laberinto). Special thanks to:
- Eva Gayoso - Owner of Suseia Pilgrim Store, Palas de Rei, a shop along the Camino Frances trail that caters to pilgrims. Eva “found” Journeyman’s music on the Internet (Spotify, iTunes, Amazon Music, etc.). If it had not been for Eva’s outreach, Journeyman would never have found Palas de Rei. Seems the Camino found JOURNEYMAN!
- Divina Agra - Head of the culture department for the village of Palas de Rei (Concello de Palas de Rei). Divina was the first person JOURNEYMAN contacted at Concello de Palas de Rei to present his labyrinth idea. From the very beginning, Divina was a huge supporter of Laberinto del Camino and JOURNEYMAN's musical/artistic endeavors.
- Beata Pilch and Michael Garvey - You won't believe this... Beata and Michael (married couple) traveled from Barcelona walking the Camino to attend the Grand Opening Celebration of Laberinto del Camino. And their support did not stop there... they volunteered to hand out flyers with JOURNEYMAN in Sarria (two days walk before entering Palas de Rei) and Portomarin (one day walk to Palas de Rei). We had so much fun meeting dozens and dozens of pilgrims from over 16 countries.
- Tobias - Founder of www.CaminoStone.com, Tobias donated realistic looking Camino milestone markers for the concert. Two of Tobias's Camino Stones graced the band stage at the Grand Opening concert.
- Padre Hector and Padre Raphael - Padre Hector provided a blessing for Laberinto del Camino and the Concert. Padre Raphael joined us for a celebratory luncheon the day following the concert. Padres Hector and Raphael conduct daily church services at Igrexa de San Tirso (7;00 p.m.). Look for Padre Hector playing acoustic guitar at mass.
SPREAD THE WORD
One of the leading Camino guidebooks is “A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago (Camino Francés)” by John Brierley. I am pleased to report that Laberinto del Camino will be referenced in the next edition of Brierley’s guidebook as a “must see, must do” activity in Palas de Rei. Olé!
BUEN CAMINO... BUEN LABERINTO
Laberinto del Camino laser etched into slate stone!
Laberinto del Camino is a uniquely-designed labyrinth recently installed in Palas de Rei, Spain. Journeyman's dream to create and build Laberinto del Camino (meaning, labyrinth of the Camino) was inspired by a song he wrote and produced by the same name... Laberinto del Camino (see performance below by Fernando Garcia). Check out the video clip below that showcases the laser etching of the Laberinto del Camino design into slate stone, a local material of Galicia, the region of Spain where Palas de Rei is located.
Laberinto del Camino to be included in popular Camino de Santiago guidebook...
One of the most popular Camino de Santiago guidebooks is "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago (Camino Francés): St. Jean Pied de Port • Santiago de Compostela," written by John Brierley.
JOURNEYMAN is pleased to announce that LABERINTO del Camino, a uniquely-designed labyrinth recently installed in Palas de Rei, Spain and situated alongside the Camino Francés path, will be included as a "must see, must do" activity in the next edition of John Brierley's guidebook.
This reference book for travelers along Camino Francés is largely considered the holy grail of Camino de Santiago guidebooks. Spread the good word!
LABERINTO del CAMINO - Palas de Rei, Spain
LABERINTO del CAMINO
Installation of synthetic grass
The village of Palas de Rei, Spain, a major overnight stopping point for those who walk Camino Frances, has begun initial landscaping for Laberinto del Camino. Doesn't it look great!
Thank you to Palas de Rei and the many volunteers working on this project.
Reminder: The Grand Opening of Laberinto del Camino is September 14, 2022, on the site of Laberinto del Camino, including live JOURNEYMAN band performance and official dedication beginning at 7:00 PM (19:00 CET).
Hope to see you there!
LABERINTO del CAMINO, a uniquely-designed labyrinth located alongside the Camino Frances path in Palas de Rei, Spain, is officially registered with the "World-Wide Labyrinth Locator," an Internet-based search engine for labyrinths located around the globe. Here is the link:
Official coordinates: 42.872912° Latitude.; -7.857732° Longitude