- THE CALLING
Following a successful career in business and athletics (World Champion Masters Track & Field high jumper), JOURNEYMAN's life was a personal mess, including broken relationships and loss of job. The most imperfect perfect storm!
One night while reading a book in bed, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, JOURNEYMAN received a calling, a message from above, to go on a journey. Exactly what this journey would entail, he was unsure. All JOURNEYMAN knew is that he received a calling, and he must go. Following a series of unbelievable coincidences (realizing that there are no coincidences in life), the destination for his journey was revealed to him - The Camino de Santiago, Spain.
" The Camino was calling and I had to go. " - JOURNEYMAN
- EL CAMINO de SANTIAGO
The Camino de Santiago ("Camino"), also known as The Way of St. James, is the oldest (1,200+ years old) and most important pilgrimage in Europe. All Camino routes ultimately lead to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in the city of Santiago de Compostela (northwestern Spain), the final resting place of apostle Santiago (St. James, the Great). Over 250,000 travelers walk the Camino every year.
- ON MY WAY
With the imperative destination revealed to JOURNEYMAN, his research uncovered a Camino travel specialist, with a package that included the most popular route, the French Way, designed to cover the 500-mile trek through a combination of walking and mini-bus transport over 15 days. This plan enabled its walkers the opportunity to experience the best paths of the French Way. Walking averaged 12-13 miles per day. The 500-mile journey began in St. Jean Pied de Port, France (in the Pyrenees in southwest France), wove westward across northern Spain, and concluded at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela (northwest Spain).
- "CAMINO PROJECT"
Most unexpectedly, the Camino inspired JOURNEYMAN to discovery his passion and talent for songwriting and production. Following his Camino, an unprecedented torrent of emotions and creativity overwhelmed, in the most positive way possible. There was no other choice than to heed this calling, too. Previously, JOURNEYMAN had written and produced only one song. He now felt simply that he had to share his journey experiences and those of others in song. Committed to his vision, doors to talented artists, singer/co-songwriter, musicians, producer suddenly appeared and opened. The "Camino Project" was born.
“ And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it. ” -Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
On a 500-mile journey there is plenty of opportunity for walking and talking, along with thinking and tending to foot issues and general body soreness and fatigue. This not only provides travelers significant time for personal reflection, but also the opportunity to get acquainted with fellow travelers (both individuals in your group and pilgrims met along the way). Last week's total strangers rapidly become fortnight confidantes and lifelong relationships. These conversations and experiences serve as the foundation to JOURNEYMAN's songs.
JOURNEYMAN was inspired to write and create inspiring, motivational and reflective contemporary pop music that could be shared with all those who journey universally, whether literally on the Camino or life's journey. While there are several other artists who have written songs based on their Camino experiences, JOURNEYMAN is believed to be the first album of Camino songs. Astonishingly, the number of songs JOURNEYMAN co-wrote and produced mushroomed to a total of 15 Camino-related songs... and ever more emerging.
- SONG LYRICS
While JOURNEYMAN conceived and wrote all the songs, he could not do it alone. Thus, he collaborated with various other songwriters. Here is further insight to some "Along The Way" album songs:
- Hey Hey: A spirited song in which JOURNEYMAN, through his "voice vessel," singer Shevon, shares how he came to walk the Camino and experience its magic. The song begins with a personal calling to walk Camino de Santiago and triumphantly ends at the Cathedral de Santiago de Compostela. He learns that his real journey had just started.
“ Life's either a daring adventure or nothing. " -Robin Sharma, Public Speaker/Author
- Personal Camino: All Camino travelers are driven by unique motivations for their journey. There is an underlying personal "calling" for each traveler. Some Camino walkers know their calling at the beginning of the trek while others discover their calling along the way. This calling is often times revealed when walking alone for long stretches. Thus, most journeys become very personal, reflective experiences. Join JOURNEYMAN as a woman pilgrim discovers who she is while on her personal Camino.
“ Who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once. ” -Robert Browning, Poet/Playwright
- Along The Way: Unique experiences, both small and large, are encountered on the Camino every day. When comparing notes with fellow travelers at the end of each day of walking, JOURNEYMAN found pilgrims began each sentence with "Along the way, this happened," or "Along the way, I found that" or "Along the way, I was thinking about the other thing." This song is a compilation of key Camino sights, sounds and experiences encountered Along The Way... to Santiago and life enrichment. This song ends with a calling for others to walk the Camino, to start their journey!
“ I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it. ” -Igor Stravinsky, Conductor/Composer/Pianist
- Celebration: The Camino is sometimes portrayed as a somber, spiritual pilgrimage. Well, it is at times... and it isn't. JOURNEYMAN learned to live in the moment and actively engage and celebrate the moment. One can be more actively be engaged in life. Colors are brighter, conversations are livelier, scenery is more beautiful, laughter becomes contagious, and life burdens and inhibitions disappear. These commonplace experiences are worth celebrating every day, your own way. One pilgrim expressed his joy at each revelation by saying "Okay." Another pilgrim was observed bursting out into uninhibited song and joy upon his arrival at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. Most importantly, one creates friendships along the way through this celebration of life. And life is worth celebrating... okay?
" The more you celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. " -Oprah Winfrey
- Go Blank: JOURNEYMAN befriended a lady on the first day of his Camino. Unfortunately, this woman developed many severe blisters on her feet forcing her to walk at a very slow pace. Suddenly, JOURNEYMAN received yet another calling from above - to walk with this woman at her (slow) pace. Little did JOURNEYMAN realize at the time that he would walk at this woman's pace for 15 consecutive days! While walking together one day she announced that her mind had gone "blank." That is, she had no worries in life, however painful her feet may (temporarily) be. Layers of life's burdens and distress that she had been carrying had peeled away exposing her true authenticity. Join JOURNEYMAN as he goes "blank" and tells a story of personal transformation.
“ Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought. ” -E Y Harburg, Lyricist
- Color My Camino: Along the Camino a pilgrim/artist decides to paint a self-portrait (metaphorically represented by a sunflower) on a blank canvas. Upon completion, the pilgrim steps back from the painting for perspective and discovers that the sunflower he has painted has no roots, an honest representation of the pilgrim/artist at the beginning of his Camino. Join JOURNEYMAN in painting a sunflower pink, yellow, green and blue.
“ Without music, my life would be black and white. ” -Robin Sharma, Author/Leadership Expert
Additional summaries for each song, as well as individual song lyrics, can be found in "THE ALBUM" under the "CAMINO PROJECT" tab.
Over the years, JOURNEYMAN, as a visual artist, has created oil and acrylic paintings, several award winning. JOURNEYMAN's Camino revealed not only a calling to write and produce songs, but also to create artwork that complements his songs. Thus, JOURNEYMAN seeks to provide his audience with an integrated visual and auditory experience. Artwork related to each song is currently a work in progress. Even post-Camino inspired, creativity can take time.
With a compelling story and talented team of artists, JOURNEYMAN's songs are ready for live shows. As good as the music experience may be, these live shows are meant to inspire and share fellowship, for all denominations, based on universal love and purposefulness. Additional information information regarding live entertainment can be found in "THE SHOW" under the "CAMINO PROJECT."
- WHAT'S NEXT?
JOURNEYMAN's Camino revealed a calling to continue to create and produce songs, with accompanying visual artwork, based on life journeys... physical, spiritual or otherwise. Stay tuned as JOURNEYMAN's next project reveals itself.
" Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? " -Robert Browning, Poet
Now, proceed to "THE ALBUM" tab and listen to/download JOURNEYMAN songs. Visualize and immerse yourself on your own personal journey and let the spirit of the lyrics and melodies touch your soul and carry you "Along The Way."